The Sega Dreamcast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sega Dreamcast

Post by Envy661 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 am

Yes, the Pioneer of online console gaming, the console born ahead of its time. The innovator. The great one. The one and only. The greatest 6th Generation console in existence, and the pioneering console that was deemed the xbox 360 prototype. The Sega Dreamcast.

Everyone remembers the release of the Sega Dreamcast in 1999 (Released in Japan 1998), and its discontinue in 2001. Its discontinue primarily due to the new chairman wanting to get out of the hardware game and focus more on software, as well as a decline in sales. It was the last console ever made by Sega, and successor to the Sega Saturn.

The Dreamcast was the first console to support any kind of online function, and dominated the industry until the release of the much anticipated Playstation 2. It was also the first console to feature Triggers on the controller.

The most notable accessories for the Dreamcast included the VGA Adapter, which allowed it to be played on Computer Monitors, or HD Television sets in 480p (best of the year) and the VMU Memory card, which featured a small screen on it that served functions different depending on what game you were playing.

The games with online gameplay capabilities included popular games such as Quake III Arena and Phantasy Star Online. Third Party Developers also developed systems for the console that allowed the browsing of the internet via a custom browser.

Dreamcast Controller with VMU Memory Card

Internal look of the Dreamcast

So let us all discuss the greatest 6th-Gen Console in existence.

Registration date : 2009-02-03
Glomps : 18
Motto : Don't beg for things
Number of posts : 290

View user profile http://envy661.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sega Dreamcast

Post by Tygron on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Never had one of these myself but I got to play on one a bit before. It's not a bad system, my friend didn't really have any games that mattered though. The controller is nice but I think another analog stick would have made a huge difference for shooters. Though I do like how Microsoft more or less copied the design for the original Xbox controllers. It was a good idea.

Honestly though I think the memory card was the best thing i'd ever seen on a console. I mean you can play games on it (nothing major I don't think only like solitaire and the like) do some things with it and even plug it into another memory unit directly for I suppose either exchanging files or perhaps multiplayer games on it. Which is just -Yiffing!- cool if you ask me. I kinda wish someone would come out with something like it on a future console. It could be used in so many cool ways I think, even though memory cards are rather obsolete. But with tech the way it is nowadays you could likely fit several gigs worth of memory, the ability to play games trade data and heck... why not shove an mp3 player in there while you're at it?

New Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-13
Glomps : 2
Number of posts : 39

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tygron117

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top